Department offers students a large range of sub-areas in sociology such as social theory, gender, migration, family, globalisation and social policy, urbanisation and urban problems, rural sociology, economic sociology, sociology of religion, crime and deviance, research methods and statistics. Taking into account that students will be naturally interested in different areas of sociology we try to keep the number of elective lectures as high as possible. By doing so, starting from the second year of their studies students are given an opportunity to improve their knowledge on the areas which they are more interested in. Another issue which our department gives importance is that to make sure that students understand the close relationship between the theory and practice/research. Therefore, students are given opportunities to prepare projects or research in some cases within the lecture or in their fourth years when they enrol to Undergraduate Assignment lecture.
Sociology Department was founded in 1992 but has not started accepting students until 2000. In the education year of 2000-2001 the department started undergraduate program with 30 students. The instruction language of department is Turkish and the length of the study is four years. As a part of ERASMUS Program, department offers lectures to the exchange students in English. A number of students from different countries including Romania, Lithuania and Italy took lectures as part of ERASMUS Student Exchange Program. Today, the department continues the education with undergraduate, M.A. and PhD Programs. Currently there are 3 Professors, 2 Associate Professor, 7 Assistant Professor, 2 Research Assistant (Dr), 4 Research Assistant working full-time in the Department.
Our main mission is to contribute to the production of sociological knowledge, research and practices in national and international level. In terms of the students’ education, our main mission is to help students acquire the necessary qualifications for a critical analysis of social life. In order to realize this mission we focus on training students who will be able to understand and evaluate social structure and problems from a sociological critical perspective; have scientific competence; will be able to carry out sociological research; aware of scientific and professional ethical values.
To be a department of high repute with regard to knowledge production and to research; a department which is actively involved in the production of policies towards social problems.
1. To provide students with a fundamental knowledge and competence in order to examine the social structure, institutions, processes and social action from a sociological perspective.
2. To provide students with a necessary knowledge and competence in order to be able to design and carry out a research by using sociological methods and techniques.
3. To bring in a critical and analytical thinking ability in the light of sociological theories and approaches.
4. To provide students with an awareness of social problems particularly in Turkey, and to bring in them be able to produce sociological solutions.
5. To provide students with an ability to look from an interdisciplinary perspective
6. To provide students with a competence in order to be able to predict on social processes and developments.
Sociology Department is located in Faculy of Arts and Sciences. Our department have bilateral agreements within ERASMUS, FARABİ and MEVLANA student and lecturer exhange programme. Students benefit from campus in the entire social and cultural opportunities.
Sociology department have 3 classrooms with computer and multimedia projector and 100 person capacity. The department has also a classroom for graduate students which have computer and multimedia projector.
Person Responsible for Information Package
Prof. Ümit TATLICAN
Res. Assist. Funda ŞERBET
Adnan Menderes University - Information Package / Course Catalogue