Master's degree education with thesis started in 2016 and doctorate education in 2017 at the Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Food Engineering. The department offers postgraduate food engineering, food science, and technology courses. The medium of instruction is Turkish for Food Engineering Doctorate and Food Engineering Master; the medium of instruction is English for Food Engineering (English) Master. The educational and research activities are carried out in 13 research laboratories installed with modern equipment.
It is aimed to contribute to the development of our country's food industry by educating food engineers who have an innovative perspective, focus on identifying and solving problems, following up-to-date research in the field, having the equipment and knowledge to add value to the institution/organization they work for, and who will come to important positions in public and private sectors with the given education in the department.
Aydın Adnan Menderes University Food Engineering Department has M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs within the organisation of Institute of Science and Technology. The M.Sc. program has started its activities since 2016-2017 Academic Year, and the Ph.D. program has started its academic activities since 2017-2018 Academic Year. By year of 2021-2022 Academic Year, there are 27 graduate students who graduated from the M.Sc. program of Food Engineering Department. In addition, 22 M.Sc. and 17 Ph.D. students continue their education actively.
The mission of the Food Engineering Department is to train food engineers who can produce new information with the ability to adapt to current technological requirements, actively integrate basic engineering knowledge into food engineering, who are committed to scientific approaches and ethical values, are entrepreneurial, have a common mind and are prone to work. The graduates of the Department will ensure that food raw materials are transformed into safe and high quality end products with minimum loss with the qualifications they have gained and the studies they have done, and they will contribute to the development of food science, food technology and food safety at national and international level.
The vision of the Food Engineering Department is to respond to the needs of the food industry at national and international level and to direct its development, by keeping food quality and food safety at the forefront, and to present its knowledge for the benefit of society by producing quality research projects and scientific studies with an understanding of continuous improvement, in addition to being a leading education and research institution contributing to the literature.
To gain the ability to access information, conduct original research, evaluate and interpret the findings and reach new syntheses, in addition to acquiring a high level of knowledge and skills in the fields of study.
There are 13 training and research laboratories within the unit (Food Chemistry Laboratory, Food Microbiology Laboratory, Instrumental Analysis Laboratory, Food Biotechnology Laboratory, Sensory Analysis Laboratory, Unit Operations Laboratory, Pilot Plant Laboratory I (Zetasizer Measurement Laboratory), Pilot Plant Laboratory II (Thin Film Evaporator Laboratory), Meat Technology Laboratory, Dairy Technology Laboratory, Oil Technology Laboratory, Fruit and Vegetable Technology Laboratory, Cereal Technology Laboratory), 2 cold storage rooms, 1 deionized water production area and 1 individual quick freezing (IQF) area.
A number of 36 common classrooms in Aydın Menderes Classrooms with seating capacities ranging from 70 to 100, each with computer equipment, internet connection and projection system are used for conducting theoretical courses.
For conducting postgraduate lectures, seminars and thesis presentations, Engineering Faculty Conference Hall with 50 seating capacity and Postgraduate Meeting Room with 20 seating capacity, both equipped with computer system, fiber internet connection and projection system are used.
There are power line, water line, fiber internet connection with 1500 Mbps bandwidth and EDUroam support, central ventilation system with natural gas connection, eyewash stations and high-purity compressed gas lines (compressed air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide and oxygen) connected to the central system in all laboratories and areas within the unit. There are 27 Windows operating system based desktop computers and 15 toner printers in the offices and laboratories within the unit.
The instruments in the education and research laboratories are as follows:
• Food Chemistry Laboratory: Deionized water system, oven, Gerber centrifuge, precision balance, air conditioning cabinet, Kjeldahl protein distillation unit, furnace, orbital shaker, pH meter, polarimeter, rotary evaporator, centrifuge, water bath, vacuum oven, Abbe refractometer, electrophoresis.
• Food Microbiology Laboratory: Oven, precision balance, light microscope, autoclave, water bath, vortex mixer.
• Instrumental Analysis Laboratory: Atomic absorption spectrometry, differential scanning calorimeter, gas chromatography, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, high pressure liquid chromatography, thermal adhesive, lyophilizator, ransimat device, spectrophotometer, spray dryer, texture analyzer, UV device, viscometer, ultrasonic bath, magnetic stirrer.
• Unit Operations Laboratory: Hammer mill, circular vibrating sieve, oven, infrared moisture analyzer, tray dryer, colorimeter, cold press oil device, water activity device.
• Pilot Plant Laboratory I: Particle size analyzer.
• Pilot Plant Laboratory II: Thin film evaporator system, ultrasonic homogenizer.
• Dairy Technology Laboratory: Oven, precision balance, water bath, pH meter.
• Fruit and Vegetable Technology Laboratory: Microwave extractor, ultrasonic extractor, refrigerated incubator, air-blast freezer, precision balance, magnetic stirrer, rotary evaporator, vortex mixer, ultrafiltration system, UV spectrophotometer, overhead mixer, pH meter, centrifuge device, water bath.
Person Responsible for Information Package
Adnan Menderes University - Information Package / Course Catalogue